Sunday, December 7, 2008

Giving Thanks

This Thanksgiving was bittersweet. Daniel and I started the day attending the Thanksgiving service at our church. That was a wonderful hour of concentrated time on praising God for the many blessings and gifts He has given us. It was also nice to take our minds off the turkey and all the sides yet to be made! But realizing the time was getting close to saying goodbyes made the day all the more special and emotional.

We hosted the dinner at our house and invited several of our friends over to share the feast. Our Navy friends, the Donathans, Daniel's school buddy, Dave, and our church friends, the Binneys, all joined us. We combined family traditions and everyone brought something they were used to having on Thanksgiving. The greatest success though was frying the turkey! Dave had a fryer and offered to do the honors. I purchased a 13 pound bird and he did the rest. It was delicious! I also roasted a turkey breast and it too was yummy. The ladies worked on everything else and other than me forgetting to let the bread dough for the rolls rise twice, everything went fairly smoothly. I have always helped out at my family's house with the Thanksgiving dinner, but it's entirely different when you are in charge of the outcome! I know everyone says it will taste good, but I didn't want to be the one taking blame for flat rolls, dry turkey or a burned pie! Thankfully, none of that happened and we finally sat down to eat around 3pm. Daniel was the official turkey carver and with two birds and a ham, we actually made quite a dent in all the food. Afterwards, I made sure everyone took home leftovers -- I didn't want to be left eating leftovers for weeks!
As tradition goes, we all shared several things we were thankful for this year. Even 3 year old Dorothy contributed! And what better than finishing the dishes and plopping down on the couch to watch some football...except for the part where the Aggies miserably lost.

No comments: